Bonjoro allows you to create custom email addresses which can be used to send messages from Bonjoro. Your personalized videos and messages sent from your email address.
The best reason to do this is your customers will be more likely to open and interact with your content if it's from a trusted source. Further, sending from your own email address can significantly improve your chances of your messages being correctly delivered to the intended recipient.
We support 2 methods for integrating your email:
- Mail integrations (oAuth) - Gmail and Outlook. This will let you integrate your Gmail or Microsoft email address with your account credentials. It's quick but displays poorly in some email clients and oAuth can fail resulting in the need to resend Bonjoros and re-enter credentials. (We send notification emails when this occurs)
- Domain Verification and CNAME record entry. This works for all email addresses and requires a CNAME entry with your DNS provider. This is the gold standard for sending Bonjoros from your own email address in terms of deliverability and reliability - highly recommended.
A note on domain verification The process gives Bonjoro permission to send from your own email address - there are a number of steps you need to take to allow this. We've simplified these as much as possible but the steps are a necessity for privacy and security reasons. It's also not something that we can do automatically for you. In most cases any questions you have when making entries in your DNS provider will be quicker to resolve through your DNS provider's support than ours as they will be far more familiar with their system than we will.
Creating a custom email address is easy. But to do so you'll have to first connect your domain or a mail integration like Gmail or Outlook.💡All users start with a basic default Bonjoro email address. This was created when you initially signed up. If you have not connected your email this will be the email address you are currently sending from and where replies will always be sent too. (Read more about replies here ) 💡
Here you will see 4 tabs:
Custom Email Addresses: These are the email addresses that you have as options to send from and where you can enter new ones. Everyone starts with a default Bonjoro email address. Configure the sending name for each address here.
Configure Senders: Here you choose which Custom Email Address each person on your team will send their Bonjoros from.
Business Domains: Here you set up a CNAME DNS record to send from your own email domain - Highly recommended. Once you have verified your business domain you can verify any email address at the domain in the Custom Email Addresses tab so it can be set up as a sending address in Configure Senders.
Mail Integrations: Set up Gmail or Microsoft (Outlook, Hotmail etc) email integrations. This adds your Gmail or Microsoft email to the Custom Email Addresses tab so it can be set up as a sending address in Configure Senders.
Decide if you want to connect your business domain (recommended) or connect your mail integration (fastest) or both 💪.
Follow the instructions below to complete your preferred connection and create a custom email address.
Creating a custom email address by connecting your Business Domain using CNAME
Create a new domain in Bonjoro
- Click the 'Business Domains' tab in Outbound email addresses
- Enter the domain you wish to connect. Eg. If the domain was www.bonjoro.com just enter 'bonjoro.com'. DO NOT INCLUDE THE www. Note: Public domains like google.com are not allowed. The domain must be a domain you own.
- You will see your new domain record has been created in Bonjoro and it is not yet verified. Good job!
Add the CNAME record to your domains DNS provider and wait for verification.
You will need to verify your domain by adding a CNAME record within your DNS provider. If this sounds complicated, don't worry - it's just a few steps or you can forward this doc to your tech team.
- Don't know who your DNS provider is? Please see the section below on how to determine who provides you with this service.
- Log in to your DNS provider
- Go to the DNS management area
- Add a new CNAME Record using the values from the Business Domains screen in your outbound email settings in Bonjoro.
- Hostname Key (or Name or Alias) = XXXXXXpm._domainkey
- Value (or Host Name or CNAME or points to) = XXXXXXXXX.dkim.bonjoro.com
NOTE: Different DNS providers use different names for 'Key' and 'Value' - if you add the values but they don't verify - please contact your DNS provider support - they are familiar with their system and will be able to tell you if the entries are correct in the shortest possible time.
- Head back to Bonjoro
- Click Verify, wait a few minutes
- You will receive another email with confirmation.
Note: Once you've added your CNAME record it can take up to 5 minutes for this to be validated and verified. You can click the 'Verify' button periodically to check manually. Due to the distributed nature of DNS it can take up to a few hours for the changes to be visible to the rest of the internet (Which includes Bonjoro)
My domain is verified, what's next?
- Once your domain has been verified you can start now create a custom email address for this domain! Excellent!
- Go to 'Custom email addresses' and click 'Add email address'.
- Enter a name and the email address you want to use. Eg. [email protected] if your domain is bonjoro.com.
- Click the link in the verification email we will send you.
🎉You can now configure your sender to use your new email address! Set your newly verified email address as the 'From address'.
Note - only change the 'Reply replies' if you would like your reply notifications to be sent to a different email address than the one you send from (e.g. a shared [email protected]... address) If you set it to your sending address you will get 2 x notifications for each reply. You cannot change the 'reply to' address in your delivery emails with this setting.
How to create a new CNAME record with your DNS provider
Setup Instructions for common DNS providers
- Godaddy CNAME Record
- Cloudflare CNAME record instructions - If using Cloudflare please click the small orange cloud icon after you have entered the details - otherwise it will not verify.
- Crazy Domains CNAME record instructions
- Hostgator CNAME instructions
- Rackspace CNAME record instructions
- Blue Host DNS record instructions
- 1&1 Ionos CNAME instructions - 'Points to' should be the 'Value'
If you use a different DNS hosting service just do a quick google search for their instructions as every DNS provider will be slightly different. If you can't find instructions for your provider it's best to contact their support directly.
What if you don't know who your DNS provider is?
Sometimes your domain name registrar (where you bought your domain name) is not the same service that is responsible for handling your DNS setup. To find out who your DNS provider is we recommend using this tool: https://whois.icann.org/en
Just enter your domain name and WHOIS will return your registrar and Name Server. Your DNS provider is the one in the Name Server section and this can be different to your registrar.
Alternatively you can ask the IT service that set up your DNS/email - or contact your domain name registrar and ask them who is handling your DNS.
Creating a custom email address using a mail integration (Gmail, Outlook)
If you use either Google's Gmail or Microsoft's Outlook then connecting these services as a mail integration, and creating a custom email address, is quick and easy.
- Navigate to Mail integrations in Outbound email addresses
- Click add Gmail OR add Outlook
- Follow the authorisation prompts and accept permissions for Bonjoro to connect with your chosen service.
- You'll be redirected to Bonjoro and a new custom email address will be ready to go for your mail integration
- 🎉You can now configure your sender to use your new email address!
💡If you use Gmail to host your business or personal email address you still choose to configure that by connecting your business domain. We do recommend this over the direct integration. 💡