💡All users start with a basic default Bonjoro email address. This was created when you initially signed up. If you have not connected your email this will be the email address you are currently sending from and where replies will always be sent to.
Bonjoro allows you to link your own email addresses to the system so your personalized videos and messages are sent from your email address.
The best reason to do this is your customers will be more likely to open and interact with your content if it is from a trusted source. Sending from your own email address also improves the overall deliverability of your messages.
We support 2 methods for integrating your email:
- RECOMMENDED - Domain Verification and CNAME record entry. This works for all email addresses and requires a CNAME entry with your Domain Name Server (DNS) provider. This is the gold standard for sending Bonjoros from your own email address in terms of deliverability and reliability. Once you have a domain verified with us you can quickly and easily add & send from any email address that exists at that domain.
- oAuth Mail integrations - Gmail and Outlook. This will let you integrate your Gmail or Microsoft email address with your account credentials. It's quick but displays poorly in some email clients and oAuth can fail resulting in the need to resend Bonjoros and re-enter credentials. (We send notification emails when this occurs). We recommend this as a quick way to get started but not for long term use. Long term we recommend Domain Verification.
Getting started and navigating our system
To send via your own email address using the domain verification process it’s important to understand that there are two components.
- Setting up a CNAME record with your DNS provider to give us permission to send emails on your behalf.
- Confirming the email address at your domain so we know it is real and has an associated inbox.
- To start the Verified Domain process go to settings > email setup > click ‘add email address’
- Enter your name and the intended sending email address at your own domain – no free email domains will be accepted (gmail.com, yahoo.com, hotmail.com etc)
- Our system will send a confirmation email to the email address you entered. Please look for that email and click the link in it to confirm your email address
- Go to settings > domains where you will an entry for your email address’s domain that is not yet verified.
- Click on the domain then go to your DNS (Domain Name Service) provider. If you are not sure who your provider is, see the Troubleshooting section below.
- Create a new CNAME Record in your DNS and fill in the values provided.
Hostname Key (or Name or Alias or Host record) = XXXXXXpm._domainkey-
Value (or Host Name or CNAME or points to) = XXXXXXXXX.dkim.bonjoro.com
NOTE: Different DNS providers use different names for 'Hostname' and 'Value' - if you add the values but they don't verify - please contact your DNS provider support - they are familiar with their system and will be able to tell you if the entries are correct in the shortest possible time.
- Check back in settings > domains later to 'Check record' and complete domain verification.
It’s important to note that it can take up to 24 hours for the record to propagate across the internet and the domain to be verified – but it typically takes less than 20 minutes.
- Once your email is confirmed AND your domain is verified your sending address will show as verified in settings > email setup and you will be able to set it as your sending address.
- Go to settings > email setup and in the 'Team Sending Addresses' section confirm that your email address is set in the ‘From email’ drop down. Do not set it as your reply forwarding address – this will cause 2 x reply notifications when people make a written reply to your video messages.
How to create a new CNAME record with your DNS provider
Setup Instructions for common DNS providers
- Godaddy CNAME Record
- Cloudflare CNAME record instructions - If using Cloudflare please click the small orange cloud icon after you have entered the details - otherwise it will not verify.
- Crazy Domains CNAME record instructions - Please note the instructions around the appropriate name server. If you have added the record without success in Account Manager please do so in Cpanel
- Hostgator CNAME instructions
- Rackspace CNAME record instructions
- Blue Host DNS record instructions NOTE: Bluehost blocks the use of underscores in their hostname field (against the regs). Please paste in the host name without the underscore. Then click edit and add it back in to work around this.
- 1&1 Ionos CNAME instructions - 'Points to' should be the 'Value'
If you use a different DNS hosting service just do a quick google search for their instructions as every DNS provider will be slightly different. If you can't find instructions for your provider it's best to contact their support directly.
What if you don't know who your DNS provider is?
Sometimes your domain name registrar (where you bought your domain name) is not the same service that is responsible for handling your DNS setup. To find out who your DNS provider is we recommend using this tool: https://whois.icann.org/en
Just enter your domain name and WHOIS will return your registrar and Name Server. Your DNS provider is the one in the Name Server section and this can be different to your registrar.
Alternatively you can ask the IT service that set up your DNS/email - or contact your domain name registrar and ask them who is handling your DNS.
Integrate your email address using a mail integration (Gmail, Outlook oAuth)
The oAuth integration is available for Gmail and MS365 and outlook online users.
Head to settings > email setup
- Click on the ‘Gmail oAuth’ or ‘Outlook oAuth’ button depending on your provider
- Enter your email address and password
- Confirm in the ‘Team sending addresses section’ that your Gmail or Outlook address is set as your sending address. Do not set it as your reply forwarding address – this will cause 2 x reply notifications when people make a written reply to your video messages.
💡If you use Gmail or Gsuite to host your business or personal email address you can still choose to configure that by verifying your business domain. We do recommend this over the oAuth integration. 💡